Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Nirvana?

I just would like to know what is Hip Hop's obsession with overused metaphors...namely... have you guessed? Kurt Cobain. If I hear another reference to some suicide doors looking so Kurt Cobain (see: Fab's verse on Addicted by Ryan Leslie featuring Cassie; or, being taken away like a bullet from Kurt Cobain (see: Game's first verse on My Life, featuring Lil Wayne, two of the most tragic individuals in their quest for respect and credibility), actually I do not know what I would do but, some part of me will die.

I am trying to figure out if there is a limited list of images or phrases that are allowed to be used at one given time in Hip-Hop? No, I guess Hip-Hop is not dead but, I would posit that the commercial aspect is 98% post-consumer material. That is why Li'l Weezy could ONLY be embalmment fluid.

I digress,

There are a couple of other references to the late grunge great but I can not think of them off the top of my head. I will add to this post as they come back to me. Are we trying to claim Kurt? Do they and their target audience even know the music Nirvana put forth during their career. Then again do rappers ever know what the fuck they are talking about? Modern day story tellers that they are. Should they not seek psychiatric evaluation for delusions of grandeur? Anyway, is Kurt Cobain Hip-Hop, should he constantly be mentioned in mundane rap lyrics like our own late greats? I just want to know where it came from and now need to do research to know how long this ridiculousness has been going on.

With that I will leave you with some of my Nirvana faves...


Teen Spirit



p.s. I remember when this video came out. Unlike a lot of people I know, I had cable in 1992, so I know a bit of pop culture... holler at your girl.

Lithium



Gets me through some shit

Come As You Are



Heart-Shaped Box



In Bloom



Thank you for accompanying me down memory lane.

Genuinely,
RuthLess

No comments: