Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Holleration

Props to Prep for Prep, I do not know if I have ever been this proud to be an alumni in my life. No offense or anything but until last night, if you were a Prep alum that has attempted to pursue a career in the arts there were no tangible resources (this is my own perspective, I spoke to someone in the 'arts' that feels somewhat different). Due to its success I do hope this will be the first of many along this vein. Kamau Patton, contingent VI, was a contributing photographer for the exhibition entitled, "Design and the Elastic Mind" at the Museum of Modern Art, MOMA. If you have not, please do see it, it is only up through May 12 and if you know like I know, Fridays is pay what you wish from 4~8 or 9-ish. Make it happen for yourself.

As I was saying, I went last night for a private viewing. I should have taken more advantage of it, but I was into the provided spirits and the sheer joy of such a groundbreaking initiative Prep has taken on. I digress, yet again.

So, the exhibition....right. "Design and the Elastic Mind" is a very literal title for the show. It is an exhibition of cutting edge scientists trouble shooting the necessary luxuries of 'civilization' as we exponentially accelerate in the 'Information Age'. The great changes we undergo as technology and science makes incredible advances, the contributing designers have conceptual pieces to introduce the lubricant to the aggressive progress we may not be completely ready for. The added bonus was the organic technology. Mind-blowing. I am already planning to go back to get it all in. This piece is just one of reverence. Projection screen of reeds that pollenates and grows about the gallery as human traffic (read: viewing audience) pass by. A huge wall of what looks like leaves. The leaves are solar panels that move up and down as they absorbs light creating wind energy. Word? Yes, word. A street lamp that uses wind energy to emit light at night.

Science is the new art, for all intents and purposes and with function. And, apparently not everyone is retarded as I find myself believing a majority of the time. There is hope for the future, in a general, all encompassing, not really acknowledging the real problems that occur in marginalized communities sort of way. Foresight is not stressed enough, when thinking about any movements, whether its who you are going to fuck or a new drug developed without care for the long term effects; its just something we could all use a little more of.

Go see it....pretty please with sugar on top.

No comments: